Andy and I expected to have our normal weekly appointment with Maternal Fetal Medicine on Tuesday, November 24th. Well, it ended up being anything but normal. We started off great when we heard news that Baby Osika gained a full pound since our last weight check, now predicted to weight 4lbs 1 oz. After the good news, we headed over to our weekly NST where we quickly found out that I was having contractions every 5 minutes that were lasting anywhere from 1-2 minutes. Ironically enough, I was not feeling a thing. The monitor was telling us everything. So, for precaution, they decided to admit me for 23 hour observation to monitor the contractions and give me a shot of steroids to help the baby's lungs develop in case I would happen to go into labor. We were sent to triage where we were greeted with nurses and Dr. Wyse from May Grant. After an exam, I was told my cervix was completely closed and I felt relief that the baby would stay in for another 3 1/2 weeks until our induction. However, Baby Osika created a scare when her heart rate dropped to 80 (should be between 100-160). I was immediately put on oxygen and had to change my positions in the bed to get the heart rate back up. The trick worked and we were back to normal. However, Dr. Wyse informed us that if this would happen again they don't want to take any risks and I would have an emergency c-section. We were hopeful that the baby would cooperate and we would still be going home on Wednesday. However, a little before 4pm, the nurses came in to check on the status of the Baby and noticed that the heart rate was dropping again. Before I knew it, we were being whisked into the OR and Mackenzie Reese was delivered at 4:13pm at 3 lbs, 13 oz. and 17 1/4" long (at just 33 weeks 4 days gestation). It was surely a whirlwind of events, although it was chaotic from our perspective the doctors and nurses new exactly what they were doing and reassured us every step of the way.
As for now we are just taking our stay at WBH day by day. Andy and I will probably be discharged on Friday or Saturday. But, Mackenzie's departure is unknown at this point. We visit Mackenzie as often as we can. We help with changing her diapers, checking her temperature, and feeding her. Daddy even gave her a bath already!
We can't thank everyone enough for all of the well wishes and prayers as Mackenzie continues to develop in the NICU. She may be little, but she sure is a fighter.
congratulations again to you Mommy and Daddy. I am soo excited to meet my new niece Mackenzie. she may have arrived early, but she was a nice suprise. lots of love to you, my big sister, brother in law and new baby niece.
ReplyDelete