Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tragedy Strikes...

And the story....

It was Saturday evening and Andy & I were doing our 'prep' for the Stone Harbor Triathlon on Sunday, July 17th. You know...just making sure we had all of our 'gear' and our bib number all in order for the big race. The last thing that we needed to do was to check our bike tires. Andy headed down to the garage to pump them up and to confirm everything was all set. Meanwhile, the Ziegler's and I were just hanging out (Carter & Mackenzie were fast asleep at this point) waiting for the Leidy's to arrive. My parents were out and about getting some food while all of this was going on. So, after a little bit I thought it was a bit odd that Andy had not returned from the garage. I headed down to the garage to check things out and to my surprise....no Andy and no (brand spankin' new) tri bike!! I was starting to get heated! I couldn't believe that he would head out somewhere without telling me. I had no clue where he was nor where to begin looking for him. Needless to say my mind started wondering and the pacing began. After some time the Leidy's arrived so we all chipped in to get them unloaded and help with the little guy (Evan). Katie then informs me that a police car just pulled up with Andy inside. That was all I needed to start freaking out. I ran downstairs to see what was going on and out comes Andy from the police car (bike in hand). He appeared to be ok so the first thing I did was yell at him for not telling me where he went (I later apologized). He then proceeded to show me his bike....his demolished (brand spankin' new) tri bike. After a few said words Andy started showing me his 'injuries' from his run in with a 19 year old driver of a Ford Explorer (driver's fault). With that we spent the evening at the ER. The doc said he was ok and just suffered a large hematoma on his upper leg. It could take a couple weeks before he is back to normal. We feared the worst....no Ironman.

We arrived home from the ER around 12:30am or so. We still had to decide what I was to do about the triathlon the next morning. We set our alarm for 5am and decided to make the decision at that time. Needless to say, I conquered the triathlon and rocked it for the both of us.

Swim 8:18
T1 2:39
Bike 40:02
T2 1:42
Run 25:31
Total 1:18:12

Now it's time to cheer my husband on to recovery so he can rock the Ironman on 9/24/2011.





















No comments:

Post a Comment