Tuesday, August 4, 2009

3 weeks until half way...

This week marks the 17th week of my pregnancy. It is really hard to believe that in just three weeks we'll be half way through my pregnancy. There are times when January 8, 2010 seems so far away that its hard to imagine. But, then there are times when I think, "Wow, summer is almost over!" And then I think about how quickly the fall comes and goes and how the holidays fly by. It's both scary and exciting to know that right after the holidays we should be expecting to meet Baby Osika for the first time!

Based on everything I read, I should start to feel the baby move any day now. I haven't felt Baby Osika yet, but I will surely make an announcement the first time I do feel him/her!

Andy & I visited Day Care #4 this evening (Sonshine Child Development Center, Lititz, PA). Almost immediately after arriving I knew it wasn't the right place. But, we have two more visits scheduled yet. One is with Children's Learning Center at Landis Homes on 8/18/09 and then with U-Gro at Brethren Village on 8/21/09. I will be sure to update you on the decision as we wrap up our visits.

One thing that I have noticed is that a majority of the day cares we have visited use a Creative Learning Curriculum. I was hoping that some of the teachers reading my post would provide some more insight on this. Is this a good curriculum? What other types of curriculum's are being used in day cares? Any guidance would be appreciated!

10 comments:

  1. where's the belly!?!? lol..... do you feel like you've "popped"? It doesn't look like it yet. I can't wait to spend a whole week talking to baby osika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean it hasn't popped yet? lol...I'm in for a big surprise, ha? I do feel like it has popped although I know there is a lot more "popping" yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby osika is the size of a onion :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that belly looks a little bigger than an onion, wouldn't you say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, maybe the size an orange! You would be the one to notice more than anyone cause you are wearing the clothes. I keep tellin ya, you are gonna pop so big at 8 months that you won't be able to see your feet. Enjoy these "little tiny pops"!

    Now the creative learning...first of all, baby Osika will not really be "learning" for a couple of years keep in mind. Your first concern should be cleanliness & child to aid ratio. That will be what you will be most pickiest at first when you drop your child off and place them in the hands of someone else. You should also ask if everyone employed has had criminal backround checks. I did not check out any other daycare's other than our work's daycare to be able to compare (the 50% discount I got kinda gave me no choice in daycares!) Creative learning to me does not sound that odd or like a bad thing. Have they explained to you what they mean by Creative Learning? It should tell you something if ALL of the daycare's are doing it. It maybe is just a new term that daycare's are now referring too.
    So Kyle did not attend daycare and Ryan did at age 3. Both are smart as you know. There's your example of daycare vs non daycare. Don't know if it helps but my point is, I think you are looking into the creative learning issue right now and it shouldn't be priority just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Melissa! You look great!

    Daycare is ridiculously hard to find in Vermont, so we went through the same issues you did. I agree with Lisa—just find a clean place with safe people who will love and hold your baby and respond quickly and affectionately when s/he needs attention. In Vermont the home daycare ratio is 1 adult to 2 infants; I don't recall what the group daycare ratio was.

    For us, it was a matter of those things, plus some gut instinct and a desire to have the girls in a place where they got lots of outdoor playtime. (Some daycares have TVs or music on all the time, which we despised and steered clear of. It seemed really overstimulating.)

    In the early years, it's important to also know that the foods s/he is eating are things that match your desires, so you may want to provide your own meals when you get to the post-milk stage. In my experience even the most careful daycare can't serve a full snack or lunch menu that appeals to every family.

    As for "curriculum," learning will happen at home, with you and Andy and friends/family. I found that nearly everything my girls learned prior to nursery school (and even beyond) was "play-based learning," directed by children and their interests, then guided/enhanced by adults so everyone stayed safe and happy. I'm guessing that "creative learning" is today's catchphrase, and may be the same.

    By the time K was 9 months old, we took her out of daycare. I was lucky enough to find a neighboring couple, both retired, who took her at their home each day and loved her like a granddaughter. E stayed with them, too, until we moved away. E started daycare when she was 2, and it was a rough ride since she'd never done it before.

    Now that the girls are 6 and 9, we've moved on to the "Keep them alive until we get home" approach to childcare! But they are both bright, and fun, and sociable, and I think all of their early care experienced played a part.

    You will find something wonderful, especially since you're looking early. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah!!! You are popping!!!!! Although my belly is far off yours and I'm 5 years post pregnancy....not good! I read Andy's post one night that he wishes he could "bottle" the after workout feeling. Please, please work on that so I can use it as inspiration. I am falling way behind and need some serious encouragement. Anyway, I've had a seriously crazy past month and can't wait to talk to you. All is good now thank goodness!

    Anyway, you look AWESOME!! The wedding pics are great! So excited for your sister and Tim!

    Daycare response: I would definitely not worry so much about curriculum. Some places have great curriculum but a whole lot of nothing else. A lot of schools do as well. I totally agree with the above posts. You could also consider moving near an amazing early childhood teacher that would love baby osika like her own and give you an amazing discount!! I am not a huge fan of day cares for profit but we can chat that up later. You will definitely know the one!

    Love to all the osikas!!!
    :)Karen R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to chime in on the above. Totally and completely go with your gut instinct. I know people who looked at the daycare that both our kids have gone to/do go to and thought it was older and dark. And they are right. But when we visited we talked to the head person in the nursery and she had been there for ten years and we really, really like her. So we went there and not the shiny new building that we looked at where the nursery people didn't even speak to us when we visited.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you. The moving is the best part. I hope you've been feeling well. I noticed a twitching in my belly, like when your muscles are fatigued, as the first signs of movement. Enjoy this time, as your belly grows everything gets more challenging. I would love to get to see you, we will be in the Sellersville area for good starting August 24th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey melissa!congrats again on baby!not sure if u know i work in a daycare...i def agree about not worrying about the cirriculum...our daycare has a cirriculum but we really dont follow it..its a little ridiculous with what they think your children should be doing when really every child learns at their own pace...i would search more on clean, teacher ratio (which infants is 1 to 4),discounts are always good, and how well the teachers will follow the schedule you want to have...if you have any other questions about daycare dont hessitate to ask:)again congrats!

    ReplyDelete