Thursday, August 27, 2009

Half way there....or so we think???

Andy & I had our 20 week check-up and ultra sound this morning. The doctor said that the baby is very active and is looking good. His/Her heart beat came in at 150 and he/she is currently weighing in at 11oz. We got quite a few pictures and are anxious to share them with you (we will add them to the blog once we get them scanned).

Based on my due date of January 8th, I would be 20 weeks 6 days along. However, the baby is measuring a little smaller than that. He/She is coming in at the 7th percentile. So, the doctor has scheduled me to meet with a maternal-fetal medicine doctor so they can do a Level 2 ultra sound and take a closer look at the umbilical cord to confirm the blood flow and make sure the baby is getting enough nourishment. The doctor told me that we shouldn’t worry (easy to say) and that I should just be sure to drink a lot of water and make sure I’m getting sufficient protein. If everything checks out with the maternal-fetal medicine doctor they may just end up changing my due date. So, cross your fingers and say your prayers that Baby Osika is healthy and active for the next 5 months!

On a more positive note, Baby Osika could just be running small as they say the baby takes after the father’s birth weight. Andy weighed only 6lbs 8oz when he was born and I was a monster at 9lbs. So, perhaps he/she is taking after DaddyJ

We heard from the maternal-fetal medicine doctor and have scheduled our Level 2 ultra sound for Tuesday, September 1st. With our 4 week appointment/check-up scheduled for Saturday, September 26th.

4 comments:

  1. We will be saying prayers! I am sure everything is going to be fine! There's a reason to hit DQ for those blizzards!!! Actually Brewsters Ice Cream has more actual cream in it....check it out. Maybe that place we went when we visited...yummy!! Calcium and sweet baby fat making goodness!! We love! love! love! ALL the OSIKAS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND I forgot to say, Melissa, you look AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids, trouble in the womb and out. Hang in there. You will know all the dirt on this little trouble maker in just a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Melissa!

    I had a zillion ultrasounds with Kyra—she was in the very low percentiles and the doctor overseeing the midwife had me completely freaked out. (The midwife was perfectly calm, naturally.) But guess what? Kyra was just a long, skinny baby (6 lbs., 7 oz.) and has grown to be a long, skinny child—and she's still around the 7th percentile size-wise!

    Needless to say, when Eryn came along I skipped all the tests and ultrasounds because they made me a bit nuts... .

    As a doctor wisely told me once, babies don't read the pregnancy/baby books and read the stat sheets, and they don't pay attention to due dates. So just take good care of yourself and remember it's not up to you when s/he will be born, it's totally up to the baby!

    xo Aimee

    ReplyDelete