Isn't it amazing how patients get reprimanded for arriving late or billed for not canceling with enough notice or not at all but doctor's can make their own schedule regardless of the appointment time? Sorry, back on track. I just needed to rant about that.
After the very long wait we were given good news from the doctor....there is no need to worry. He basically felt that my OBGYN overreacted a little bit. The baby weighed approximately 13oz today and a baby at 21 weeks would weigh anywhere from 14-15oz. The doctor did say that baby appeared to be about 5 days smaller compared to how far along I was. But, he said at this point in the pregnancy it is nothing to be concerned about. The "normal" range allows for little to no error. So, a measurement that is just 1mm off would make the baby appear to be in a lower percentile. After all of the measurements today the doctor said the baby was coming in at about the 14th or 15th percentile. We left that appointment feeling very relieved. For precautions, the doctor did scheduled a follow up in four weeks to confirm that the baby is still growing. Our appointment is scheduled for September 29th at 8:15am (and this time I will be calling ahead of time to determine if the appointments are running behind schedule).
I am 21 weeks pregnant this week. According to http://www.thebump.com/ Baby Osika is supposed to be about the size of a banana at 10.5 inches and 12.7oz. Baby Osika gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for hydration and nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work! Studies show that after birth, babies are most interested in tastes they've already experienced through amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you want your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch.
Below is my belly picture along with pictures of the outfit I picked out to bring the baby home from the hospital. I was in charge of picking out a girl outfit and Andy is in charge of picking out a boy outfit. Enjoy....
love the outfit!! adorable. glad things went well today and im sure baby O will keep growing and by his/her next checkup he will be right on schedule!! cant wait to see andy's outfit :)
ReplyDeleteVery good news! Try not to get irritated at the docs. It's their job to tell you everything. Whether you want to hear it or not.
ReplyDeleteThe outfit is cute! I still have the dress my father bought for me to wear home from the hospital. It's something to treasure.
Cute outfit. I love how snuggly and warm it looks!
ReplyDeleteYou think waiting is bad now, wait until you have your well baby checks. I was always amazed how on time everything was for prenatal visits, but the waits during well baby visits more than made up for it!